MOTD: Autumn Strobe Fall 2015

Makeup Of The Day: Autumn Strobe, Fall 2015

My last article / post was on the strobing technique as new staple in the makeup industry, which really has a glorious enhancing effect when done properly.   Since this technique has gained a stunning audience and has become so popular, almost every makeup company and subsidiary has a strobing, highlighting product on the market.  There are some gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, shimmering highlighting products that will have your skin glowing to the 100th power!

I am experimenting with this makeup technique in attempts to perfect it on me by going through the trial and error process as I prepare to use these different techniques on my clients. I have been playing with various products to see the different effects.  What happens when you layer the cream and then the powder? What effect do you get with different color and glow combinations? What brushes give the best or worst application?  As I go through this process, I created this makeup look I call the “Autumn Strobe.” It’s a shimmery rust, copper toned smokey eyeshadow look, with contour, the #TMBStrobe effect and peach/coral colored blush and a pale nude pink lip.


The Eyes:

Using the BH Cosmetics Party Girl Palette, an oldie but goodie; I took the rust/ copper shade with a shimmer finish and applied that all over the lid. Now, I honestly do not remember the order in which I applied the shadows. But, not matter the order, it’s all about the blending and layering. Blend and layer. Blend and layer.

  1. Begin with priming the eye then sweeping a skin tone shade all over the lid. This will make your belding job easier when building your colors.
  2. Next, take a warm brown eyeshadow. The BHCPGP does not have a medium warm toned brown, so use what you have.  Apply this shade all over the lid by patting. Blend up into the crease and blend out so the color fades toward the nose and inner corner.  Any mistakes blend out with the skintone shade or a clean blending brush.  
  3. Next, warm up the eye even more with the red tone shade in the BHCPGP. This will serve as a light transition shade between the eyebrow and that warm brown we just blended into the crease and on the lid.  
  4. Now, take the copper/rust shimmer shade from this palette and pat it over the brown on the lid.  The brown base makes the shimmer pop and give it a brighter color payoff than the shade would used alone.  
  5. The last piece the puzzle is taking a dark brown in the BHCPGP and concentrating the color in the outer V of the eye.  Use a bullet crease brush with this shade. Then use the same blending brush with that warm brown and blend the darker brown out.  Blend for your life!
  6. For under eye color (waterline) I used the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Lust.  Set it with the rust color on the lid… that sets the look off!!! I usually do this step after the under eye highlight and set you will read below.





The Face:

I am using Black Opal True Color Foundation in Truly Topaz, which is the perfect yellow undertone for my complexion. I set the foundation with L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 16 Hour Foundation in 600 Golden Beige.  Under eye concealer is the LA Girl Pro Conceal in Warm Honey and I’ve set that with the Ben Nye Banana Powder.  Now, by all means, if you are not into the brightening under the eye look, just use your foundation color under the eye and set with a translucent powder.  The problem with setting under eye with a foundation powder that matches the skin tone can make the eye look heavy and not lifted. We don’t want heavy, droopy under eyes! #notevenclose.    I cannot remember the blush! Sorry!!!

The Strobe:

Yawss. The benefit of subscribing to Ipsy Glam bag is that you get monthly goodies including makeup, skin and hair care, but mostly makeup.  So in my November bag I received a cream highlighting trio by Model Co. in Champagne, Peach Bellini and Bronze. I am using the Peach Bellini because the rust and red hues on the eyes all fall in the same color family.  To make it “strobe,” I layered the cream with the Balm Mary-Lou Manizer highlighter, shimmer shadow.





The Lips:

LORAC lip pencil in 05, paired with LA Girl Matte Velvet Lipstick in Snuggle and topped with Ruby Kisses Matte Lip Lacquer in Mirage.


I hope my look inspires you to try a variation of this look; Please tag me on IG and/or Twitter @themakeupbaby13 and use the hashtag #TMBStrobe!!!! #TMBInnerBeauties Let’s Get It!

~Inner beauty is your TRUE foundation~

Comments